The Fontana Bella, was built by Sixtus V (1585-1590)
on a crossing of aqueducts (outside the city,
in the countryside) for thirsty travellers on their
way to Rome. Nowadays this fountain is situated in
one of the busiest suburbs of Rome (B on the drawing).
In 1723 it was renovated and decorated by Clemente
XII. From then on the fountain has been known as the Fontane di Clemente
its water from the Aqua Virgo.
For more information
and pictures of the fountain and the aqueduct please
The two fountains decorated
with a dragon and an eagle give water from the Aqua Paola,
formerly known as Aqua Traiana (Paus Paul V (1605-1621) restored
this aqueduct early in the 17th century). The dragon
and the eagle belong to the weapon of the Borghese-family (Paus Paul V =
Camillo Borghese). S P A
is an acronym for Salus Per Aqua ("health by water").