aqueduct alongside had a length of 50 km and brought water
of the Louros springs to 2 cisterns in the Nymphaeum of Nikopolis. This
aqueduct was built after Nikopolis was founded by Octavianus
Augustus. It existed of three parts, all differently constructed:
a canal with a water-proof roof and ventilation shafts;
a tunnel hewn out of the Kokkinopelos valley; and
bridges decorated with arches that brought the water
over the hills.
Parts of the bridge (pillars
near the Louros springs) were renovated between 1978 and 1980.
Another water wonder
lay in Samos.
Around 520 bC, Polycrates, the ruler of Samos, commissioned Eupalinos of Megara
to construct a tunnel and aqueduct to bring fresh water from a distant natural
spring to the harbor city called Samos (now Pythagorion).
He succeded in opening a water supply channel
through a mountain. After considerable planning, work on the tunnel was begun simultaneously at both
ends of mount Ambelos.
The tunnel was 1036 m long. The two groups met in the
center; they only had an 0,6 m error.